TEFL COURSE INTRODUCTION
|Course description||TEFL is a practical teacher development program designed to cater to the needs of L2 English teachers and/or teacher candidates. The course is designed fully online or fully F2F or in a blended way depending on the needs of the participants.|
|Who is it for?||The course is specifically designed to cater to the needs of L2 English teachers teaching adults. The course is aimed at novice as well as experienced ELT teachers wishing to refresh their knowledge and upgrade their skills in the field.|
|Course Approach||The course will adopt a participant-centred approach as its primary aim is to model a learner-centred approach and encourage the participants to use such an approach in their classes.|
|Who is it for?||The course is aimed at the following teachers: |
– Novice teachers with little or no experience in teaching English to adults.
– Experienced teachers with little or no formal training in teaching English to adults.
– Both experienced & qualified teachers wishing to refresh their knowledge and upgrade skills in teaching English to adults.
|Admission Requirements||Below are two minimum requirements for admission: |
1. A BA degree (in any field)
2. English Proficiency
· No documentation is required for NSEs (Native speakers of English) and also for participants who are graduates of higher education institutions in an English speaking country.
· For NNSEs, a proficiency score at “C1” CEFR level is required. Participants without a valid score from internationally recognized exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS Academic, PTE Academic etc.) need to sit BAU Proficiency exam before being admitted to the program. Participants need to get a minimum score of 85 out of 100 from this exam.
|Course Components||Among the course components are: |
– 1 (video-recorded) micro teaching (MT)
– 2 Written Assignments (WA)
– 5 peer observation reflection reports (POR)
– 90 % attendance
|How long?||This is a 120-hour course spread over 12-weeks (10-hour weekly input sessions)* |
*Spread of 10 hours over a week can be designed based on the needs of the participants. Each week could cover two days of 5 hour daily sessions.
|Successful Completion Criteria||Two criteria for successful completion of the TEFL course are as follows: |
1. 90 % attendance to sessions
2. Getting a minimum pass grade from all course components (e.g. PORs, Was & MT)
|Calendar||Course Start Date: TBA |
|Certificate||90 % attendance & completing all course components successfully lead to a “certificate of participation”|