Table of Contents
- 1. Chief Information Security Officer
- 2. Cloud Engineer
- 3. Information Security Manager
- 4. Security Architect
- 5. Director of Information Security
- 6. Network Security Engineer
- 7. Penetration Tester
Working in cyber security comes with many perks, one of them being the (often) hefty salary. The importance of information security and the future of cyber security jobs are closely tied together. With the growing number of almost fully automated jobs, the need for cyber security professionals is growing. Consequently, companies are willing to invest generously to protect their data.
There are many high paying jobs in cyber security. However, they do require a certain amount of experience and education. Most hiring managers will look for a Master’s Degree in Cyber Security when looking to fill these positions.
Given that, let’s look at a few cyber security jobs with the highest salaries in the industry.
1. Chief Information Security Officer
A chief information security officer (CISO) is an executive who is in charge of a company’s information and data security. However, that is only a broad and simple way of putting it. In the last few years, a CISO has taken a more expansive role in their workplace.
Let’s see what exactly a CISO does.
What does a chief information security officer do?
A CISO’s responsibilities include:
- real-time analysis of immediate threats,
- keeping up with developing security threats and helping the board understand them,
- making sure data isn’t being misused or stolen by internal staff,
- managing projects,
- making sure all information security processes run smoothly, etc.
Chief information security officer salary
As a CISO, you can expect one of the highest salaries in the cyber security field. The salary starts from $105,000 and up to $225,000, making the median salary somewhere around $163,000.
2. Cloud Engineer
A cloud engineer is a professional responsible for any technical tasks related to cloud computing, including planning, management, design, maintenance, and support. However, someone who is in the cyber security field will gravitate towards cloud security engineering, which means they are responsible for cloud computing and security within a company.
What does a cloud security engineer do?
A cloud security engineer’s duties include:
- creating cloud-based programs,
- providing security recommendations,
- performing threat simulations in order to detect possible risks,
- recommending and creating methods that enhance the security of cloud-based environments, etc.
Cloud engineer salary
As a cloud engineer, your salary can start at $79,000 and goes up to $159,000, depending on various factors. This makes the median salary of a cloud engineer somewhere around $126,000.
3. Information Security Manager
An information security manager is a professional who is in charge of designing and implementing security systems that protect an organization or company’s computer networks from cyber attacks and help set security standards.
What does an information security manager do?
An information security manager’s daily duties include:
- assessing an organization’s security measures,
- analyzing reports generated by the monitoring system,
- managing backup and security systems,
- looking after the data recovery in emergency situations,
- overseeing security violation investigations, etc.
Information and security manager salary
As an information security manager, you can expect to earn anywhere from $77,000 to around $150,000, depending on your level of experience and education. The median salary is $114,000.
4. Security Architect
A security architect is a cyber security professional who is responsible for the maintenance of a company’s computer system. They must be alert at all times, as to not let any threats turn into crimes. Many security architects are former hackers since they need to know how a hacker’s brain works in order to prevent them from breaching their security.
What does a security architect do?
A security architect’s duties include:
- understanding the company’s systems thoroughly,
- recommending ways to improve the system’s security through both software and hardware,
- setting user policies and protocols,
- setting up countermeasures for when someone unauthorized attempts to enter the system, etc.
Security architect salary
As a security architect, your salary will be somewhere between $79,000 and up to $139,000 per year. This makes the median salary for a security architect around $106,000.
5. Director of Information Security
A director of information security is a professional who is in charge of designing, implementing, managing, and allocating all information security measures within a company. They report directly to a CISO, and in smaller companies, they even assume the role of one.
What does a director of information security do?
A director of information security’s duties include:
✅ Request information on BAU's programs TODAY!
- managing security programs,
- supervising security departments,
- distributing resources accurately and efficiently,
- keeping an eye on vulnerabilities and threats,
- developing strategies to handle security incidents, etc.
Director of information security salary
As a director of information security, your salary will fall somewhere between $67,000 and $157,000, depending on the company you work for. This makes the median salary around $103,000.
6. Network Security Engineer
A network security engineer is a professional who protects your network from existing bugs and future threats. Although the focus of the work they do falls on security, a network security engineer has a multifaceted job. They are responsible for many different tasks that fall on the IT spectrum.
What does a network security engineer do?
The responsibilities of a network security engineer include:
- maintaining LAN, WAN, and server architecture,
- solving existing security problems,
- creating virus detection programs,
- developing tracking scripts for system vulnerabilities,
- investigating security breach alerts,
- maintaining virtual private networks, firewalls, email security, etc.
Network security engineer salary
As a network security engineer, you can expect to earn somewhere between $57,000 and $128,000, depending on the company you work for, your level of experience, skills, and education. The median salary is around $85,000.
7. Penetration Tester
A penetration tester is a professional who is usually hired by a company to test and assess weaknesses or threats to their information security system to prevent data breaches and cyber attacks.
What does a penetration tester do?
A penetration tester’s daily duties include:
- creating tests that simulate a cyber crime,
- identifying application vulnerabilities,
- suggesting security strategies,
- assessing the physical security of systems, network devices, and servers, etc.
Penetration tester salary
As a penetration tester, your salary will be between $57,000 and $136,000, depending on where you work and how much experience you have. This makes the median salary somewhere around $80,000.
The cyber security field offers many career opportunities—penetration testing, cloud computing, to security architecture. In addition to these high paying jobs, there are many more that have median salaries well above average. However, we’ve chosen a few ones that stand out.
If you found these jobs interesting and would like to make a career out of them, you should check out the Master of Science in Cyber Security program we offer.